Monday, September 10, 2012

My Bulking Progress

Happy Marvelous in my Monday!


Things have been super hectic lately. I really need to find time to just decompress. 

As you all know, I've been 'bulking' or simply just trying to put on some weight. I find there are so many mental hurdles but int he end only the strongest survive. ;) It definitely is tough at times.

Your pants are tighter. You eat past the point of fullness. You have a little more fat than you are comfortable with. And you have to be okay with that.

This is how I feel right now. Adding weight to my frame has been an up and down battle. For one thing, I now know for sure that even when I do 20 minutes of cardio or eat even one miniscule snack less in a day, I will lose weight. It sucks.

The past few months I have added on a few pounds, but it has been a rollercoaster. I am not going to lie to all of you and say that my attitude was 100% positive all the time. It was summer. This means bikinis, short shorts, tiny tank tops, you name it. Baring all that skin left me feeling a lot more uncomfortable with adding weight on.

I look back on it and laugh. It's things like these that will always hold me back, and I need to look to the future instead of the present and the past. I need to focus on my goals: envision where I want to be and just do it. I have no time to worry about what might go wrong NOW.

The past few weeks, I've been eating even more and doing no cardio. I do have to do cardio for school gym requirements, but on those days I have to eat even more and be 100% okay with that, because that is what I need.

I'm tired of people thinking I am 'skinny.' No. I am not like a majority of women (especially teenage girls) out there who wants to be skinny. I want to be healthy and strong. I want to have muscle and prove to people that woman look good with a bit of brawn.

Forking down the food has been a major mental battle. I think you can ask anyone 'bulking,' and they would tell you the same thing. You might be thinking "Seriously? She has to eat more and she is complaining?" No, I am not complaining, not at all. I am just expressing how much of a struggle it is to play mind games with myself.

This is raw honesty right here. To the left was a picture of me about two months ago with some nice abs. I still had little body fat on me then. To the right is a picture of my tummy now.

 
(The second picture was taken bright and early in the morning, when my body had been fasting overnight; not after I had eaten.)

There is a difference. I have gotten 'softer' in my stomach area (this has always been my weak spot). I still have slight indents, but each and every day they are diminishing. It's hard to not focus on, but it's possible. My clothes are fitting a bit snugger and yet I am honestly okay with it. How? A few months ago I would've been very saddened by this thought. But now that I have my goals in the forefront of my mind, everything is easier.

I'm getting healthier, one step at a time. And look! Eating much more has its perks:


I'm getting bulky legs! HAZZAH! Legs have always been the hardest thing to grow on this body of mine and seeing this picture brings me joy. I know, I'm such a sap. But if you only knew how self-conscious I once was about how chicken-legged I believed I was, you would sympathize. ;) These legs are growing. My chest. My back. My shoulders, Everything is growing. And I need to grow. It's not always about putting on the muscle I really want to put on, but proving to myself that I can set out to do what I want to.

'Bulking' has been up and down, that is for sure. I'm being more lenient too with my treats. And it's okay. A few scoops of ice cream and a large slice of pizza won't kill me. I advocate eating healthy but I have to live once in awhile.

I understand cutting is probably harder than bulking, but in all seriousness both bulking and cutting can be mentally difficult!

Have a great day everyone. :)

Questions: Are you bulking? What's the hardest part for you? 

13 comments:

  1. YOU GO GIRL!!! Look at dem quads! :D
    I think eating past fullness has been the hardest part of bulking for me-- sometimes you just feel downright uncomfortable and weighed down. And it's annoying when people are like, "you're really eating all that?!" But like you said, the benefits sure outweigh the overly stuffed feeling/social anxiety!
    I love how you see your dreams and chase them with such fervor, such an inspiration :)
    Have a great day, Britt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I agree. I feel so sluggish and lethargic.. not fun. I hate when people said that but they are ignorant so whatever. :) Thanks girl :)

      Delete
  2. Bulking IS hard! I'm in the same boat and I know it is a struggle physically and mentally. I'm so proud of you - you look great. Those legs are killer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up, you are gorgeous no matter what it is really your confidence that matters. I think you have such a good head on your shoulders. And killer legs.... haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you little one:) What kind of program for eating/workout are you on currently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Sarah :) I'm not really following an eating program, but I am eating in a surplus with, if I would have to approximate, 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. :) As for workouts, I have my trainer take care of that. Each day of the week I devote one day to a particular muscle group and I typically lift within the 8-15 rep range for now. Eventually I am going to dabble in the 1-6. :)

      Delete
  5. Keep at it! You are a beauty and don't you forget that! ps. nice legs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAMN GIRL. your legs look amazing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the legs! My hamstrings are pokin' out now just a little and that's NEVER happened. Stubborn little muscle back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha my hammies have yet to make an appearance but good for you Sara! :)

      Delete