Thursday, September 13, 2012

Eat-Clean Diet Review: Part 1 "Just The Rules"


Hey guys! So I cannot keep this secret any longer.

I received an e-mail about a month ago from the lovely Kiersten. She is the daughter of Tosca Reno, A.K.A. my IDOL. I was so happy beyond words.

I received the "Eat-Clean Diet" series to read and review. Over the next three days, I will be reviewing three books. Major excitement there! I also unexpectedly received a free Tosca Reno Sisters in Iron shirt and I have been wearing it at every available moment.

I have talked before how I think that the concept of eating clean can be taken too far. But as a basis for living a healthy lifestyle and supporting healthy habits, I think that the Eat-Clean Diet series is one of the  best proven options.

I love Tosca! (Source)

The Eat-Clean Diet is not a diet intended for restriction. Heck, in the books they even encourage eating treats in moderation and not eliminating entire food groups. They also promote eating more to fuel the body. I LOVE that!

The first book I am going to review is "Just The Rules." This will be a three part series based on the three books that I received.


"Just The Rules" is a handy little pocket-sized book with 51 'rules' for following the Eat-Clean Diet. What I loved about it is that it's small enough to bring everywhere when one might think that they are tempted to go off the deep end. The rules are also simple and not too sugar-coated which I absolutely loved. It was understandable and very eye-opening.

I knew going into this that I would know most of the 'rules' already. I know enough about nutrition and health to make my own rules. However, Tosca brilliantly outlined the rules in a new manner for me that I understood even more.

Here are the major things I took away from the book:

1. Eat as close to the ground as possible.
I love eating whole foods, no doubt about that. But I also like to eat a bunch of 'healthy' junk that is packed with sodium, preservatives, artificial flavors, etc. (Beek jerky, anyone?!) Tosca really made me realize that I should eat more veggies from the ground and from local markets. Not only am I supporting local farmers, but I know that what I am eating is super fresh and not being shipped all the way from Ecuador.

2. Keep your stomach acidic.
I always wondered why my trainer was having me force down that dreadful apple cider vinegar. To torture me? No. Now I know why! Tosca taught me that our stomachs need to be acidic in order to properly break down my food. Most people think the opposite; they think that the stomach shouldn't be acidic but that is false. Eat the write foods and force down that vinegar! It will help you!

3. No cheats--just treats!
I will bet he first to admit that I fell into this "cheat meal" junk. It's just that--JUNK! With the Eat-Clean Diet, it is a treat not a cheat. Why? A cheat has a bad connotation surrounding it. It makes it sound like you are doing something 'bad,' when in fact you aren't! Life is about moderation and if you want a small slice of cake or a slice of pizza once a week there is nothing wrong with that. Don't go overboard but never deprive yourself. Call them treats!

I learned SO much more, including how food advertises trick us, the benefits of fermented food, and why oats are so good! I HIGHLY recommend you go order this book.

You could purchase "Just The Rules" here. It's the perfect little handbook to help you follow a healthy lifestyle.

Stay tuned for tomorrow, as I review another one of Tosca's awesome books a part of the Eat-Clean Diet Series! :)

*All opinions are my own. I was not compensated for this review. I am reviewing this because Tosca Reno is like my idol. Totally fangirling right now."

And don't forget to follow Tosca's September challenge of Strike Sugar!

10 comments:

  1. EEEEEEEE YAY!!!! How exciting :)
    Your review is awesome girl-- I love the rule about "eating close to the ground." At first I took it literally and was like ummm I'm not sure if I want to eat on the floor haha ;)
    I need to work on eating more wholesome, real foods-- I find myself reaching for jerky and protein bars out of sheer convenience for classes, but I could always have chicken and carrots or an apple and nuts instead. I just gotta learn to make time to prep it and quit being so lazy haha ;)
    Can't wait for tomorrow's review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! :D Thank you! I love that rule too. I thought it sounded hippie-ish at first but now I totally get it! I always reach for those items too. I think every now and then they are okay but I am working to have them as a treat :) Can't wait to share my review tomorrow! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review Britt! Love her, well..who doesn't?? I actually just started reading Eat Clean Diet Recharged...I had picked it up a few weeks ago, I know some things have been revised, thought it was maybe time for a "refresher course"! I look forward to the rest of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! If you don't like Tosca, what's wrong with you, ya know?! I love Recharged... so on point and thought-provoking! :)

      Delete
  3. YAY that is very exciting! I actually have to confess I don't know who she is, but but what I just read I now want her book! Sounds like just the thing I NEED... I wonder if I can get the book here in Australia? Hmmm I shall have a look, lets hope! Anyway can't wait to hear how it goes... btw I thought you were on wordpress and went to follow you, then I realised its not wordpress, oh dear *blond moment*... Auds :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you MUST get the book. In all seriousness. It's amazing! I'm sure you could order it online somewhere that will ship it to you. :) Or maybe they even have it in E-book form? And aww thanks for trying to follow me. It means a lot :)

      Delete
  4. Yeahhhh girl!! So excited for you!!! I love all of her books and am so happy you are getting to review THREE!! Yu are awesome and I loved the review!! Can't wait to read the other two :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D I would be privileged in reviewing ONE book, but THREE?! Oh my gosh it's a dream come true! <3

      Delete
  5. So cool Brittany! Sounds good to me, I eat straight from the ground! ;)

    ReplyDelete