Friday, September 21, 2012

Fitness Friday #2: Shoulders!


Oh gosh. Thank God it's Friday. By the end of the week, I am always so exhausted and just ready for the weekend. This weekend is fully embraced, but then again, isn't every weekend?

Last week I did my first official "Fitness Friday" and I talked about T-bar Rows. This week, for my second Fitness Friday, I am going to talk about my now favorite muscle group to work... shoulders!

I thoroughly enjoy working my shoulders and my back, but lately shoulders seems to be inching closer and closer to the top position. I used to really not like working them but now I have totally fallen in love. 

Shoulders are a very difficult muscle group to grow. It takes a lot of time and energy to get rounded boulder shoulders. And by a lot of time, I don't mean three months. I mean years. I am always so fascinated by figure competitors and how amazing their shoulders look. I can't imagine how hard they had to have bust their butts to get that kind of shoulder definition:

Erin Stern recently winning 1st place at the 2012 Valenti Cup! (Source)

I love doing all kinds of shoulder exercises. I would have to say that these are my top 3 favorites:

1. Military Press

This is a very effective compound movement, included in nearly every workout regimen. You can do this with a barbell, which I typically do as it also challenges my core. But sometimes, I admit, I do these with the Smith machine to fatigue the shoulders. In all, this is an excellent exercise and one I always look forward to.

2. Shoulder Press


This is also a compound movement that is very effective. I always do these with free weights but sometimes I will use the machine just for burnout. In fact, I shoulder pressed the 30 lb. dumbbells with my trainer other day. Yes, 30 in EACH hand for a total of 60 pounds. Talk about feeling mighty!

3. Clean and Press


I've talked about these before and I still love them. With that being said, they can still be extremely dangerous so ALWAYS start off light and have a spotter watching you. These are not only great for the shoulders but for overall body strength, so get cleaning and pressing!

I basically just named the top three most effective shoulder building exercises, but there are many others that are awesome: lateral raises, front raises, upright rows, etc. I am continually trying to get these babies to grow. The coconut shoulders look just calls to me, what can I say. ;)

Have a great day everyone! Enjoy your weekend!

Questions: Do you like working shoulders? What's your favorite shoulder exercise?



12 comments:

  1. My favorite muscle group to work out is shoulders! I love shoulder press machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love should day! It's second only to biceps. My favorite is the Arnold Press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shoulders but I strongly dislike biceps! Arnold Presses are great--should've mentioned those :)

      Delete
  3. I do like to work shoulders. But my favorite all time exercise is push ups because it works several muscle groups and you can do them just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Push-ups are great! Love doing them when I need a quick surge of energy :)

      Delete
  4. Gosh I love shoulders. I like the military press but I do enjoy a good old fashioned shoulder press. My shoulders really respond to them so gotta give the body what is wants ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself :)

      Delete
  5. Brittany you are such a beast! How is your leg? Oh man I would have probably just burst out crying (and, um, thrown a little tantrum). My favourite life would probably be the back squat. We did weighted lunges at crossfit on wednesday and my glutes were screaming bloody murder the next day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! :) My leg is fine. All I have there now is a little mark--it doesn't hurt at all! Thanks for asking! Squats are absolutely awesome. You're gonna have glutes of steal girl :D

      Delete
  6. Did you should press 30 lbs per hand as a one rep max or for sets? Either way, amazing progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol the awe and inspiration by your progress made me make that typo haha. I meant shoulder*

    ReplyDelete