Friday, August 17, 2012

My 5 Minute Plank Story

I wasn't going to post today but I feel compelled to due to the awesome input I received on yesterday's post. Seriously. You all rock my socks, and I am NOT just saying that. Every comment that I received made me smile to no end. Never underestimate what a little comment can do--because every comment I receive makes this girl right here's entire world.

Okay, I am done with the mushiness. :)

I'm going to talk about the core. I have talked about it here not too long ago and I have changed the integration of core exercises that I have been doing in my routine. 

I never did core exercises, because as I have mentioned before, I find that almost every exercise (especially with free weights and standing) works the core in some way. If you're squatting, doing cable chest flyes, etc. and NOT feeling like your core is tight and 'letting it go,' I find you are much more prone to injury and you are able to lift better if the core is tight.

I'm not trying to sound like an expert. I have experienced this myself. So you can take my word for it... or not? Haha well that's pretty obvious!

I basically have been doing a lot more core work for a few reasons... one is that my gym just got the new TRX system and that suspension training stuff... man does it do WONDERS for the core. Sure, it looks easy to do some of the exercises but when you strap your feet in there and get to work, you will be sorry for thinking so, LOL! Another reason is because I have wanted something to 'spice up' my training and I figured that adding more core would be the perfect challenge.

I saw this video by the incredibly fit and inspiring Brad Gouthro. I am pretty good at planks and I figured doing the 5:00 plank would be quite the challenge for me. ...oh it was. 

PROOF. (Well I suppose that I could have just let my timer run until 5 minutes came along, but once again, just take my word for it!)

Here were my incoherent thoughts...

"Okay, 30 seconds in and this is easy peasy lemon SQUEEZY psh."

"1 minute down. Alright, so I'm a little sore but it's nothing. I got this."

"Hmm. I'm kind of hungry. I'm thinking a post-workout sweet potato smoothie would hit the spot?"

"Okay 2 minutes. Happy thoughts. Puppies. Flowers. Nut butter."

"3 minutes down. 2 more to go. This is the longest 5 minutes of my life..."

"4 minutes. Did I REALLY just make it this far?! Wow, I underestimate my (epic) abilities."

"10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... DONE. OH MY GOSH THANK YOU BABY JESUS."

Brad, you made it look easy, LOL! Truth me told, I am very proud of holding it for that long and did not at all think I could do it. My core is stronger that I thought!

Basically, here's what I hope you get from this post... include some core work. Even if it is for 10 minutes once per week. The core is the foundation of the body, so make it strong or see your form fail. And in these little core workouts, add some planks. Oh, you think they look easy? Well, planks involve the transverse abdominals, which is like a corset covering your abs. It's hard to hit those, and planks are the best at doing so while also hitting almost every other muscle in the body.

Oh, they're still too easy? Try them for five minutes. ;)

Don't underestimate the mighty plank!

Questions: Do you do planks? What's your longest time? EVERY SECOND COUNTS!


26 comments:

  1. I've been battling what I thought was an ITB/piriformis issue but it all stemmed from a weak core--despite all the crunches and planks I (thought) I was doing! After a summer of planks and other core/glute work I am so much better. I now do about 12 min of planks (front and side)as part of my strength routine 3x/week. Instead of "plankathon" style planks, my physical therapist has me doing planks like other exercises--3 sets of 6 reps with each rep held for 8-10 seconds. I have to use my phone timer to make sure I get through it and don't skimp on the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I commend you for adding those planks in. It seems you're like the plank champion! :)

      Delete
  2. Legit!!! You've got abs of steel girl ;) I think the longest plank I've ever done was like 2 or 3 minutes tops, I can't fathom 5!
    Hahaha I loved this-- "Hmm. I'm kind of hungry. I'm thinking a post-workout sweet potato smoothie would hit the spot?" I would totally be thinking the same thing haha!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muahaha thank you ;) I didn't think I could do 5 either but I went for it and I did it so I am so sure that you can! And yes--in fact I DID have that sweet potato smoothie and I thought about you when I was making it. ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! 5 minutes! You rock!
    I plank...although I only ever timed myself once. I should do it again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could totally get to 5 minutes. Or like 10? Haha!

      Delete
  4. So proud of you! Five minutes is a difficult one for sure. People think it's easy to hold...NO WAY. It's both a mental game and a physical game. You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here I go I'm trying (; six minutes lets go!;) haha jk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to find ways to work my core besides running. You have inspired me to really start thinking about begin serious about strength training. any tips for where to begin without a gym or weights. I know, I have nothing but I need to start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww haha thanks! I suggest just doing basic bodyweight movements to start out--squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, etc. Hey, gotta work with watcha have!

      Delete
  7. I try to do a plank EVERY day! They are SO great! I think my max time was 2:32. Now I want to hit 5 minutes. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! :D They are amazing. YOU CAN DO IT!

      Delete
  8. My longest planks have been 3 minutes long. And that's only because I've got people cheering me on to do it during our monthly bootcamp challenges! Not as motivated to do it by myself, heehee. :")
    I might try 5 minutes, though, and have my niece video tape me doing it.
    lol, my favorite part of this post was your thoughts! ;) I can totally relate to minute 2 whenever I plank! "Puppies. Flowers. Nut butters." seem to help me hold it too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Katie I have no doubt that you could get to 5. I'm going to do a 10 minute one these days ;) You can do whatever you put your mind to! Haha my incoherent thoughts are sooo weird. ;)

      Delete
  9. Great job.... ya, Brad is an animal of motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. RSS reader is awesome. Someone is always interested, Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is quite the plank girl! I started planking everyday but then I started a new lifting program and there is just no way my body wants to plank everyday after my intense workout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yayyyyyyy Britt! That's awesome! My longest was 4:3something my problem is I always seem to do planks to time after a shoulder workout...I have no clue why, it just always seems to happen that way. I think I can hit 5:00 though, I'm going to try it today, it's my rest day! Did you stay perfectly still or did you change positions? I usually stay still but I've seen lots of people switch positions and I think maybe that would help pass the time a little faster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. Every time! I'm so weird, LOL! You can totally do it Kristin. I know it will happen :) I stayed on my forearms until minute 4 then switched to my hands for the last minute!

      Delete
  13. I used to plank all the time til my trainer put a stop to it. Boo! Now I wonder f I could make it 5 mins... that may need to happen (or attempt to happen) today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man why did he stop letting you do them?! That's cray cray! I hope you can do them! Rock them out. :)

      Delete
  14. Im juuuuust getting back to the plankage.
    my 43 year old core is MAD AT ME :-)

    ReplyDelete