Friday, August 3, 2012

Coconut Banana Oatmeal


Woo! It's Friday! Let's celebrate. 

With a new recipe of course.

A few days ago, I heard the notorious UPS guy and was hoping with all hope that he came for me. Well... he did! I won this wonderful bag of oats from the one and only Jill Hanner. (Thanks Jill!)


These are the famous Coach's Oats my friends, and OMG they are GOOD. They are the best steel cut oats ever. Scratch that, they are THE best oats ever. I usually have rolled oats which aren't bad but Coach's Oats take it to a whole new level of pure genius.

Anyways... I made this lovely concoction and it was delicious. So here's the recipe!

Coconut Banana Oatmeal


Ingredients:
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup Coach's Oats*
- 1/4 cup egg whites (or about 1 or 2 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond milk (coconut or dairy milk works too)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds (I used Mila, yum!)
- 1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tbsp. unsweeted coconut shreds
- dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
*you could also be creative and use quinoa flakes, flaxeed meal, wheat bran, oat bran, etc.


Directions:
Heat a small pot on low heat and spray or rub it down with cooking spray/oil. Once heated, add the Coach's Oats to the pan and then add both the milk and the water. Stir. Take half of the banana and warm it up for a few seconds in the mirowave. Mash it up and add it to the pot, then stir it in. Add in the egg whites and chia seeds. Raise the heat slightly and let it cook for a few minutes to absorb all the ingredients. When done, tranfer the oats to a bowl. On top, cop up the other half of the banana into slices. Add it to the oatmeal. Also top it with the coconut shreds, cottage cheese, and cinnamon and nutmeg.

And that's all there is to it! Let me know if anyone tries the recipe. It certainly was very delicious and I shall be making it again. :)
Question: Have you tried Coach's Oats?
ALSO, my Mila giveaway ends TONIGHT at 9 p.m. CST so if you have not entered, click here.

13 comments:

  1. Oh the glorious combo of coconut and banana :) NOMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE oatmeal, but I've never had the famous Coaches Oats....that bowl sure looks delicious so I'm going to HAVE to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously thought that it would just be like regular ol' oats, but I was definitely wrong! It's SOOO good so I hope you try them. :) You are welcome!

      Delete
  3. Sounds yummy Britt!

    And nope, I've never tried Coach's Oats. I don't think we have them in Canada...or where I live at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! And oh no that's awful! D: Looks like I have to send you some ;)

      Delete
  4. I need to try those! Now to figure out where I can buy some...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! That looks great, Brit! I LOVE coconut, and I just got up (Olympics watching last night) so I guess I'll be making myself some oats this morning.. Er.. Noon. ;)

    P.S. How long does it take to cook Coach's Oats? Is it longer than cooking rolled oats? I've never really had steel cut oats before, so I was just wondering... Thanks in advance! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol holy cow girl I wish I could sleep like you! It takes longer than rolled because they are steel cut and not refined. I would say between 7-10 minutes! It was my first time having steel cut as well and I don't think I will ever go back to rolled oats!

      Delete
  6. I could eat this breakfast every meal of the day. love the banana-coconut combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! A perfect, tropical-esque breaky :)

      Delete