Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hot Yoga and Energybits Review

Hello Thursday!

Precisely one week from now I will be back in school. Joy to the world. But eh, I have to get school over with before I dominate the world, right? ;)

Before I jump into the main subject of this post, I just want to thank everyone for the feedback I got on yesterday's post. I realize I need to make my OWN definition of 'eating clean,' and for me that means eating the right amounts of food that I personally need, and being flexible (not so strict!) in my diet. When I first started lifting to put on mass, I wanted to do it entirely with a 'clean' diet... but friends, I LOST weight by sticking to that approach. That was not what I anticipated and was definitely not the goal. So just eat what you want in moderation and be happy. :) Moving on...

On Tuesday night I attended my first ever hot yoga class. Like always, I was really not all that nervous and I was primarily interested in stretching out my extremely sore muscles after a tough week of workouts. I was also interested in what it could do for me mentally, A.K.A. clear out my mind and just let me be in the moment.

I got some good tips from my lovely blogger friend Liz and pretty soon I was setting up shop on the floor of the yoga studio. But before I did so, I felt quite lacking on energy so this is where a certain product comes in...


Energybits.

Basically, it the container are these small, green pill-like things that smell of the sea. Why? Because they are made from spirulina algae, with the highest protein content in the world. Now how is that for interest piquing? 

The ever so nice Jonathan from Energybits sent me these samples to try. When I got them in the mail I was so excited and couldn't wait to try them out. That night, I had gone to the gym for a good leg workout and took a few beforehand. I rocked out some seriously heavy leg press and felt energized the whole way through. 

But I really wanted to put them to the test during hot yoga. I took a few before class began, and I was ready to sweat out my body weight. I have never sweat so much before in my life. It was rejuvenating to say the least.

I feel so much more limber now. During it, I was rocking out some serious moves my friends. Who knew that a girl who has honestly only taken two serious yoga classes before actually has some skill in the field? It's incredible. 

I did these...

...more times than I could count. (Source)

It was so awesome. I did them first by flinging my body up against the wall, but I was able to doing them better without relying on the wall when I used the tripod and raised my feet up. There were so many people in the class and there were three of us able to hold the stance, so I felt like everyone was looking at me. But it felt good to be noticed for my hard work! I made an effort to help everyone by giving them tips and they really appreciated it.

I tried to do a few handstands but it's still a work in progress to be able to hold it for some time. I am trying! Otherwise, I did a lot of warrior poses and my quads were screaming because the instructor kept pushing me farther and farther down into a lunge pose and having to hold it for a few minutes. Ow ow ow! 

As I left looking like I had just gone swimming, I felt so.. what is it? ALIVE! My mind was emptied and I had tons of energy. What's that you say? ENERGY?

Well that brings me back to the Energybits. I realize that the first yoga class I took was not a hot yoga class, but I didn't have the Energybits before my first class last week. During that class I was able to concentrate but was feeling pretty tired. Not so with this hot yoga class. The room is stiflingly hot, yet I managed to be so energetic and was able to rock the poses, which is probably why the instructor used me for a quite a few examples and why I couldn't meditate because I was so amped with energy.

I really liked Energybits, and give them a good 9.5/10. (Can I do that?) The only reason it wasn't a 10/10 was because they stuck to my teeth like no other. I didn't mind the smell and I actually really ENJOYED the kelp-y taste of them, whereas my brother thought I was disgusting because he hated the smell. Hey, if I could have eaten those like popcorn, I would've! They tasted so different but so yummy nonetheless! I was just trying to pick the gooey bits out of my teeth during the duration of the class, which is my only irk. Otherwise, they provided me with a TON of good energy and I will definitely be using them again. So I suggest you all take advantage of their free samples (yes FREE) by either visiting their Twitter or their Facebook page. 

Thank you, Energybits, for the awesome product! It really powered me through hot yoga and I can't wait to get more of them!

Questions: Have you tried hot yoga? Yay or nay? Would you like to try Energybits? I promise they are such an interesting product!


29 comments:

  1. I haven't tried my Energybits yet, but looking forward to it! I probably should before my workout today, because I'm SORE and tired. Thankfully tomorrow is a rest day. YEAH! I love hot yoga and try to do it 3 times a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they will give you a huge energy surge!!! :) I'm going again tomorrow! I think I may have found the yogi in me ;)

      Delete
  2. Haven't tried Energy Bites...curious, but not sure if I'd like them. Good job on your hot yoga! I want to try that...just haven't gotten into much yoga other than for stretching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're free, so you know you might as well see what all the fuss is about ;) Thank you! I always thought yoga was boring and made for stretching but it's actually a lot more than that :)

      Delete
  3. I love, LOVE hot yoga! Especially Bikram! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Kierston I think you were part of the reason why I wanted to do hot yoga after I read about your Bikram experiences! :)

      Delete
  4. I did a month of Hot Yoga in july and did enjoy it. My experience , of course, depended on the instructor, but overall I found it really revitalizing. I can imagine energy bits would help during those moments where I thought I couldn't go on, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I think the instructor has a lot to do with whether you enjoyed it or not! Luckily the instructor I had was very zen and super nice, so I liked her. And yes, Energybits certainly pulled me through :)

      Delete
  5. I've been DYING to do hot yoga and wish I had someone around here to go with me, I think it would be fun with a friend. Good for you and way to go on the poses. I enjoyed the energybits too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went myself just for fun, and I liked it! But then again I am super independent so that may or may not have anything to do with it... ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE Energy Bits! Kern and I got them also and we found them to really enhance our workout =) I'm running a Giveaway for them on my blog! You can go there to enter - www.fitnessawayoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh me too! They're somewhat addicting! I shall check it out--thank you :)

      Delete
  7. I want to try those, I would be dying to see how the affect my runs in the morning heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said they are giving out free samples!

      Delete
    2. They're great for replenishing electrolytes after sweat too! 40+ vitamins and nutrients, in addition to 25g/protein per serving!

      Delete
  8. I'm going to be trying those soon, too! I'm definitely intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so so so hooked on hot yoga. I got at least once a week. No other workout in the universe makes me sweat and stretch the way hot yoga does!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome that you took your first hot yoga class! I've been dying to take one! I can't wait to try the energybites. I'm kind of getting nervous though with the taste and how many they say you have to take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it out! The taste honestly tastes like the sea, not going to lie lol but it's not that bad I promise :)

      Delete
  11. Great job in yoga and holding headstand! It's funny. I've probably been practicing yoga for 10+ years and it's taken me about that long to finally get into and feel OK in headstand. There's something about being upside down that unnerves me. And I'm super curious about Energybits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I probably just have a different body type. :) It was very unnerving too. I was staring at everyone upside down... talk about awkward haha! I liked them so go ahead and contact them for free samples!

      Delete
  12. Awesome review, Britt!! :D Super proud of you and your headstands! We'll have to take yoga classes together in the future! ;) I've never actually practiced yoga, but I'd probably be less intimidated if I had a yogi friend with you to join me! :P
    As for those Energybits.. Man, do I have to try those!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I can't wait until we meet. It's seriously going to be EPIC. We'll go do yoga, go to food stores and buy endless jars of PB, and mess things up. ;) And yes they are giving out free samples!

      Delete
  13. That's it! I'm back to working on my headstands. I shall divert all blood flood to my cranium and finally achieve that dang pose. Wish me luck(s).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got my bits, but I don't think they did anything. :( I was really tired today though... maybe they kept me awake...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww maybe you can try again? They worked for me but every body is different I suppose :)

      Delete