Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Current Top 5 Favorite Exercises


We're halfway through the week! Hold strong people! You can make it! (With the help of LOTS of coffee and ridiculous reality TV to keep you from going insane.)

In honor to maintain the optimism, I'm going to highlight my recent top 5 favorite exercises. :)

I feel like I talk a lot about strength training and training in general on here, and well, that's my goal, so you'll be seeing it a lot. :) Just thought I'd warn you!

Anyways, let's get to it! In no particular order...

1. Hack squat

(Source)

My legs are my worst enemy in my journey to building muscle. They take a little more coaxing. But I don't hate them. I mean, they get me from place to place so I gotta love them! I recently just started doing hack squats and I really like them. Due to the angle, you are able to put on a lot more weight so some people dub it 'easier.' But, I've never done them before so it was really fun and experimental to do a variation of a squat that wasn't the typical barbell back squat. I was really able to go deep with these and I am still feeling it in my booty. Baby got back!


2. Box jump

(Source)

Ahh, I love my box jumps. I have found that adding explosive plyometrics like these into my fitness regime has really helped add some size to my legs. Plyos work those fast twitch muscle fibers! These in particular get my heart rate spiked and are really exciting. I am on the second to last tallest box and I can rock out at least 30 on them. The tallest one is so intimidating and the other day I almost just sucked down my fear and did it. But, alas, the fear of falling in my face was ever so present and there were a lot of people at the gym... SO, needless to say, I still have some work to do. But I'm going to attempt it this weekend!


3. Hang Cleans

(Source)

I talked about clean & presses here not too long ago. This is essentially the same idea, just no press. This is an Olympic lift so it is crucial not to get too ambitious on your first try. I have been doing these with a very light weight and I love what they have been doing for my shoulders. I also love the adrenaline rush I get from them! They are so fun. I always make sure to have someone watch me as I am doing these because these can be quite dangerous and I do not want to injure myself.


4. TRX Back Rows


I remember the first time my trainer brought in her TRX suspension system. I thought "Psh, this thing is for pansies." Then she told me to do 20 of these. I could only muster 12. That was some time ago. Now I can get up to 20, and I really feel the burn. Don't knock the TRX until you try it; it's a different foundation for building muscle and it's super fun! Using your own body weight for suspension is much harder than it sounds.

5. Bradford Press


I heard of these through Liz (from whom I got the name modified shoulder press) and Sable. These are a fantastic exercise to really wear out the shoulders. You basically lift the barbell overhead and then behind your head, and then lift it back to starting position. This puts constant tension on the shoulders so it never really gets a 'break.' It's excellent for fatiguing the shoulders. You should go pretty light on these though because you will fatigue fast!

Well, there are my top 5 favorite exercises at the moment. My taste buds are always so I am sure you will all be seeing another one of these in the future. :)

Have a whimsical Wednesday!

Questions: What are some of your current favorite exercises? Any from this list that you like as well? Dislike? 







19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We just got three in the gym! They're expensive but I believe Jillian Michaels sells something called the Rip60 for so much cheaper! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice! I lovvvveeee hang cleans too, they make me feel so powerful! :)
    Lately I've been loving front squats-- the quad burn is EPIC mwahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously considering adding box jumps to my routine...but this girl can't jump! haha. Great moves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TRX moves are indeed TOUGH and the back rows are a good one for sure! I am always sore the next day when I use one

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Bradford Press" .. love that you found the name! Its a kiler. In the npc demo video i watched they referred to it as the "finisher" because if you do it on a shoulder day...you're finished. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh gosh yes it so is! I tack it on the end of a shoulder workout to really wear them out for THAT reason haha. :) Thanks for introducing them to me!

      Delete
  6. Box jumps do intimidate me but I had to do them at a cross fit class I tried and loved it. I would love to take a trx class because I think those things are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH you tried CrossFit?! You lucky duck. :) They really make me slap happy haha! And yes, TRX are legit :)

      Delete
  7. I love T-bar rows and push presses! I really want to try hang cleans but for some reason, they frighten me :)

    T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a T-bar at my gym but many people do that with the Olympic bar! I need to do these because I LOVE working back!! And push presses... haven't done those but you have definitely intrigued me! Go for the cleans, they are so fun :)

      Delete
  8. I LOVE HANG CLEANS! I try to incorporate them everytime I'm in the gym!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HACKS are you fav?! You are nuts! Those are the bain of my existence. But yeah... totally effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha for NOW they are... we'll see about that when they gradually get heavier ;)

      Delete
  10. Hi Brittany,

    our kung fu trainer used to make us do something similar to the box jump. I found it pretty hard, although it looks fairly simple. Lately, I just love to do simple squats and lift weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you did kung fu? That's pretty incredible! Squats are fun and lifting weights in general is just the best :)

      Delete